Comments: Underpants Taliban strategy

It took some digging for me to figure out what the Gnome Underpants Strategy is, but it was well worth it. :)

Posted by Mahsheed at March 2, 2004 02:39 PM

Painful and pathetic definitely describe Afghanistan under the Taliban.

From what I’ve read of Qtub, his strategy was

A. attack people that aren’t 'Islamic enough'
B. ???
C. victory!

There’s been some debate about whether al Qaeda was directly influenced by Qtub, but there’s no doubt that he was one of the earliest adaptors of the underpants gnome strategy.

Posted by mary at March 2, 2004 11:48 PM

Mary,

Ignorance is bliss, isn't it?

What is with your refusal to spell Qutb correctly?

Sayyid Qutb was part of an organization that had a defined methodology for bringing about the type of society they wanted. You or I may disagree with it, but it certainly was NOT to simply 'attack people who aren't Islamic enough.'

Any intelligent observer of Qutb's thought, regardless of whether one thinks Qutb's vision of society is evil or beautiful or just hopelessly naive and misguided or overly influenced by his own environment would tell you that.

Posted by Abu Noor al-Irlandee at March 3, 2004 03:13 PM

Abu Noor - If you do a web search, you’ll see that his name is spelled Sayyid Qutb, Sayyid Qutub, sayed qutb, Sayyid Qtub, etc. Words in Arabic are spelled phonetically (Usama, Osama). Each individual writer is given the choice and the freedom to choose between many variations. I know you find things like variation and individual choice repugnant and upsetting, so I’ll spell it your way. Since you believe you know the one true, ultimate, pure path, you must know the one, true, pure ultimate spelling.

Did I make any mistakes in outlining Qutb’s plan for victory? How, exactly do Qutb’s followers plan to ‘bring about the society’ they want? Can you give us a quick outline?

Posted by mary at March 3, 2004 09:46 PM

Another example would be Libya's leader: Khaddafi, Kadafi, Gadafi, Gaddafi, etc.

Troy

Posted by Troy at March 5, 2004 07:11 PM

Thanks Mary,

I actually read Arabic (do you?) so I am well aware of the process of transliterating Arabic names.

Still, there is a way that makes sense and a way that doesn't. Qutb is almost universally spelled that way and that is the way that actually corresponds to the Arabic spelling. It was your insistence on spelling it Qtub in continual dialogues with others spelling it Qutb that led me to wonder if there was some kind of message behind your spelling. If there is not, I apologize if the way I framed my question/comment insulted you. That was not my intent.

Peace.

Posted by Abu Noor al-Irlandee at March 5, 2004 10:59 PM

Abu Noor – I make a lot of spelling mistakes and I don’t mind if they’re (politely) pointed out. I once misspelled the name of a blogger who called herself Sisyphus. She was convinced that my misspelling (Sissyphus) was a deliberate attempt to call her a sissy. (it wasn’t, really)

I know enough Arabic to say hello and order dinner at a restaurant. Did my spelling of Qutb (Qtub) imply some sort of metaphor, simile or double-entendre in Arabic?

You said “Sayyid Qutb was part of an organization that had a defined methodology for bringing about the type of society they wanted.” What is that ‘defined methodology?’

Posted by mary at March 7, 2004 01:14 PM