Comments: Alevi and atheism

"I don't think I could be an atheist -- I lack the necessary piety, devoutness and rigor to ascribe to this peculiarly ascetic faith."

Ha ha! Brilliant!

Excellent blog - I've been reading it for ages.

All the best.

Posted by Thebit at July 23, 2003 05:50 AM

Thanks for the kind words. I have the vague feeling I'm plagiarizing that line from someone, but if so I can't remember whom.

I

Posted by Bill at July 24, 2003 12:18 AM

This is a bit confusing. THis post seems to imply that 'Alevi' and 'Aliwite' are two names for the same sect. Your earlier Aliwite post seemed to treat them as distinct. Do you know which it is?

Posted by Alex at July 24, 2003 03:30 PM

The Alevi and Alawites are distinct sects.

They do sound similar to the Alawites, though, don't they?

Posted by Bill at July 24, 2003 03:47 PM

because of the practice of dissimulation and crypto-religion in the middle east, it is hard to figure out if alevis & alawites are the same-i have seen alevis as referred to as alawites who are in turkey & vice versa. similarly, i have seen ibadi muslims from oman referred to as "shia" though they are strictly speaking descended from the khajirites who predated the sunni-shia split....

Posted by razib at July 26, 2003 12:36 AM

this article:
relates alevis & alawites to the bektishis who are most prominent today in albania.

Posted by razib at July 26, 2003 12:39 AM

If atheism is a faith, so is disbelief in the tooth fairy.

This devout agnostic will stick to Ambrose Bierce's peerless definition of the word 'faith': Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks without knowledge, of things without parallel.

Posted by Rand Race at July 28, 2003 04:29 PM

Friend

while doing some research on sects in Islam, i happened to have reached ur page http://www.ideofact.com/archives/000017.html and also read the comments that were there. I m not sure what extra research material u have recd till date but i thot of sharing this extra bit of info with u. the difference bet Alevis of Turkey and Alawis of Syria is very small but u can find more info on them frm this link http://www.angelfire.com/az/rescon/PPLGRME.html

hope u find it useful. Cool Regards in this hot weather

Posted by Juzer Mohammed Husain at May 18, 2004 02:23 AM